Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Free Money

This is going to have to be a brief entry due to the fact that my full attention will be required shortly for part 1 of the Real Housewives of Orange County reunion show.  I know you can all relate.

Can I just say that First Republic Bank is INSANE?  By insane, I mean it rocked me like a hurricane, shook me to the core, brought me as close to G*d as I've ever been.  I found FRB when researching ways to access my money from abroad without getting raped by exorbitant ATM fees and foreign exchange mark-ups.  FRB offers basically everything under the sun for free, including the specific attribute that I sought.  Not only that, but they gave me a goodie back with chocolate.  I don't care about all the other trinkets...but the chocolate, now you've got my heart [and a hefty initial deposit]. 

My personal banker...let's call her Rosario...is going to perform all of my banking commands via email, and even offered to FedEx necessary items to me in Europe at no cost.  I told her that they're going to lose a lot of money on this new client, and she told me "it's okay, FRB has plenty of money".  Classic.  Why didn't anyone steer me in this direction earlier?

I can also proudly report that I sold the last large piece of furniture in my possession today.  My Crate & Barrel Axis sectional sofa has served me well over the past four years in three residences and as many cities.  It also turns out that it retained its value better than any of my other furnishings.  Who knew?  The proceeds are going to buy me at least one additional month in non-Euro lands, or more likely, afford me the opportunity to lodge in 6-person rooms rather than 10+ person rooms in the highest-rated youth hostels.  I'll try to avoid a hostel in Bratislava...no need for another installment of that gore-fest featuring yours truly.

1 comment: